Zoom Whitening® is a popular in-office system for brightening your smile. But at Theriot Family Dental Care in Baton Rouge, our dentists prefer Opalescence Boost™ to make your teeth sparkle.
How Zoom Whitening Works
Zoom Whitening uses intense light to help activate the bleaching gel. Opalescence Boost doesn’t use a light. Studies show that the light doesn’t make teeth any lighter permanently, but it does make them temporarily whiter. The light helps dehydrate the tooth, which makes it look whiter at the end of the appointment. But in a couple of days, after the tooth has fully re-hydrated, it is no whiter than it would have been without the light.
Another disadvantage is that the light can increase sensitivity.
What Is Opalescence Boost?
Opalescence Boost is an in-office teeth whitening system that works without using an activation light. After we protect your gums, we’ll apply the whitening gel to your teeth in one to three 20-minute sessions. You’ll have a dazzling smile when we complete the treatment.
Zoom vs. Opalescence Boost
- A light is shined on your teeth to activate the bleaching gel.
- The combination of bleaching gel and the light dries out your teeth, making them temporarily much whiter.
- Over the next few days, as your teeth rehydrate, they won’t be as bright.
- Some patients experience some sensitivity in the teeth after the whitening process.
- No LED light is used throughout the whitening treatment.
- Your teeth won’t dry out from the whitening process.
- There is some temporary extra whiteness that you will see, from tiny oxygen bubbles that get embedded inside your teeth. It will dissipate over a few days as your tooth stabilizes to its new whiter color.
- We’re finding less sensitivity after using Boost than people experience with Zoom.
We’ll give you a touchup kit to use at home and maintain your brilliant smile. Dr. Theriot or Dr. Redhead will explain how and when to do touchups.
Interested in a Brighter Smile?
Before bleaching your teeth, Dr. Theriot or Dr. Redhead will examine them to determine the cause of your tooth stains and to ensure your teeth and gums are healthy. Both doctors have training and experience in teeth whitening techniques and will let you know if it’s the right treatment to brighten your smile. Call us to schedule an appointment or request an appointment online.